‘Tis the season for lots of festive food and drinks! But if we aren’t paying attention that one fun drink can skyrocket our calorie limit. We’ve got some great ideas on how to keep the drinks special without overdoing the sugar and unnecessary calories.
Here are some simple tricks to try out this season:
- Look for liquor with a lower proof (alcoholic strength). It has fewer calories per fluid ounce.
- Use smaller glasses for your cocktails to trim portions.
- Create drinks without prepackaged mixers, which add a boatload of extra calories from sugar. Instead, mix alcohol with seltzer or splash of 100 percent fruit juice.
- Measure how much you pour by using a shot glass or jigger. Aim for 1 shot of alcohol per drink.
- Add sliced fruit (like lemons and oranges), or muddle fresh berries or fresh herbs (like mint, cilantro or rosemary) to punch up the flavor while adding few calories.
And always, always drink responsibly.